[petsc-dev] Could we replace SNESTestJacobian() in maint with that in master?

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 19 07:29:53 CDT 2018

Hi Fande,

>         It looks like SNESTestJacobian() in master is more reliable than
>         that in maint.  Especially, the petsc options name is changed.
>         For example, from "-snes_test_jacobian_display" to
>         "-snes_test_jacobian_view".
>
>         There are some MOOSE tests that fail with the maint version of
>         SNESTestJacobian(), but they are just fine with the master
>         version of SNESTestJacobian().
>

>     are you able to provide us with a standalone test that exposes the
>     problem so that we can fix it?
>

> I do not think it is a good idea to fix the thing in maint that has
> been already fixed in master.  It is really hard to just copy the whole
> SNESTestJacobian() in maint to master??

sorry, it was not clear from your email that the issue is local to the
implementation of SNESTestJacobian and that it is enough to "just copy
it over".

The change from "-snes_test_jacobian_display" to
"-snes_test_jacobian_view" is a problem, however, because existing code
interfacing PETSc 3.9 may now break.

> I could do a PR, if you guys
> agree with this.

Thanks for the PR. I'll pull it in and add the old option names as a
fallback so that existing code remains working.

Best regards,
Karli