[petsc-dev] Reading periodic meshes from GMSH

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:27:11 CDT 2018

Lawrence,

I wrote the periodic GMSH reader and I can answer for it.

With DMPlex, when we have periodicity, we currently have two ways of
encoding it

1) through the maxCell concept (or, as Lisandro's like to call it, the
"maxCell crap")
2) through the coordinatesSection

Since periodicity with general meshed cannot be encoded with 1), I populate
the cell part of the coordinates section with the "localized coordinates"
(only for periodic cells), and leave all the other dofs associated with the
vertices.
I believe this kind of localization is also what you get with the
maxCell crap (check it out with the BoxMesh): even in this case in the
coordinate section you have cell dofs only for cells touching the periodic
boundary, and all the vertices have their own coordinates.
Look eg in DMPlexComputeLineGeometry_Internal.

What you know for sure is that the first 6 entries of the closure are the
ones you should look for (not the size of the closure)

--
Stefano