[petsc-dev] building with MKL

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sun Jul 1 13:49:17 CDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 1:43 PM Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu>
wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2018, at 12:30 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you really want to do this, then replace COMMON with CORE to specialize
> for SKX. There’s not point to using COMMON if you’ve got the MIC path
> already.
>

> We advocate CORE on our userguides, but the Intel compiler crashes
> reliably with that in certain cases. I think in particular Intel has never
> figured out how complex numbers work. If the compiler crashes it’s always
> on the petsc complex mode. I think I have submitted tickets about that, so
> maybe it’s fixed in update 3.
>
> I have also seen cases where CORE gives numerical problems and replacing
> by COMMON fixed them. Sorry, that was a user ticket and having solved it I
> didn’t bother to submit an Intel support ticket.

I have unconfirmed reports of numerical problems. I will try your flags if
I can reproduce them. Any other tricks that you used to get MKL/PETSc to
work?

Also, PETSc is having problems finding libs. I get this error that it can
not find -blas and I see that there is a libmkl_blas95_ilp64.a and
libmkl_blas95_lp64.a, but no libblas.a.

I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Mark

Executing: cc  -o /tmp/petsc-WPf2VB/config.libraries/conftest     -g -O0
-hcpu=mic-knl -qopenmp-simd -fopenmp
/tmp/petsc-WPf2VB/config.libraries/conftest.o
-Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/mkl/lib/intel64
-L/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2018.1.163/linux/mkl/lib/intel64
-lblas -lstdc++ -ldl
Possible ERROR while running linker: exit code 256
stderr:
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lblas
                    Popping language C
              Unknown name mangling in BLAS/LAPACK
**** Configure header /tmp/petsc-WPf2VB/confdefs.h ****