[petsc-dev] building with MKL

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu
Sun Jul 1 12:43:06 CDT 2018

On Jul 1, 2018, at 12:30 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com<mailto:jeff.science at gmail.com>> wrote:

If you really want to do this, then replace COMMON with CORE to specialize for SKX. There’s not point to using COMMON if you’ve got the MIC path already.

We advocate CORE on our userguides, but the Intel compiler crashes reliably with that in certain cases. I think in particular Intel has never figured out how complex numbers work. If the compiler crashes it’s always on the petsc complex mode. I think I have submitted tickets about that, so maybe it’s fixed in update 3.

I have also seen cases where CORE gives numerical problems and replacing by COMMON fixed them. Sorry, that was a user ticket and having solved it I didn’t bother to submit an Intel support ticket.

The support website is a nightmare anyway, so I’m not overly motivated to submit support tickets in the first place.

Victor.