[petsc-dev] transition to GitHub

Lawrence Mitchell wencel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:00:02 CST 2018

Barry,

Jed (?) already maintains mirrors of the main petsc repos on github at:

https://github.com/petsc

So step one would be to get access to that organisational account.

It is possible to drive both bitbucket's and github's API to query (and create) issues.  So you can script the conversion of issues (including comments).

Here's a python script that does that:

https://github.com/jeffwidman/bitbucket-issue-migration

I have not used it, but reading through the code it doesn't look to do anything monumentally complicated.  There appear to be three steps:

1. Figure out the correct bitbucket API url for listing issues (and then grabbing the comments)

2. Do some minimal munging of the issue and comments from bitbucket-approved markdown to github markdown (some of the linking conventions are different).
At this stage, you can optionally map bitbucket to github user names.

3. Post the resulting munged issue to github using their API.

I suppose it would be easy to just run it on a test repo.

I note that migrating live pull requests appears to be much harder (no-one appears to have done the work).

I don't know if you feel like you need that too.

Cheers,

Lawrence