[petsc-dev] [Mike McQuaid] Re: [Homebrew/homebrew-core] PETSc: import from homebrew-science (#23598)

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 25 22:07:58 CST 2018

"Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>>>   That's not how PETSc's works. It tells the each package the final prefix and each package installs into that location directly.
>>
>> That's just because PETSc's package manager is kinda crappy because
>> nobody wants to admit that it really is a package manager.  If uninstall
>> is to be a thing at all, then it's definitely the way to go.
>
>    We use to do it the "package manager way" but I think so many packages couldn't be DESTDIRed and then installed that we went with the install directly approach.

Many/all of those packages are available in Debian or Conda or Homebrew, etc.

>    I think it is wrong to call PETSc's thing a package manager. It is and always has been only a package installer, it is hopeless at managing packages.

And yet we're talking about uninstall and we also have support for
upgrading them (except that it doesn't clean up the old version and thus
isn't very reliable).  It's a package manager despite conspicuous
missing features.