[petsc-dev] [Mike McQuaid] Re: [Homebrew/homebrew-core] PETSc: import from homebrew-science (#23598)

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 25 20:17:15 CST 2018

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018, Lawrence Mitchell wrote:

> > On 25 Feb 2018, at 21:13, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
> >

> > The try part of that commit (around os.remove) is necessary.  Also,
> > "rmdir -p" provides a useful semantic in this context, but needs to be
> > implemented manually in Python (or I don't know where that functionality
> > is available in the standard library).
>
> shutil.rmtree

I think [in uninstall script] - we want to delete dirs only if the dir
is empty.  [if not empty - it could contain files installed by a
different package - as its common to install multiple packages in the
same prefix]

Also - thinking about it - its not clear if we can really do a proper
uninstall - esp with --download-packages.

Previously - 'make install' would also install the downloaded packages
and we kept track of them for the uninstall script. But now - we let
each package do its own 'make install' to the prefix location. But we
don't have an 'uninstall' option for these externalpackages. [I don't
know if any of them provide 'make uninstall' feature]

Satish