[petsc-dev] default MPI in debian/ubuntu: openmpi vs mpich

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Dec 7 23:15:32 CST 2018

The Open MPI API is better for developers due to better type safety (all
handles in MPICH are typedef'd to int). Most major commercial vendors
are organized around variants of MPICH (where there is collective ABI
standardization). Open MPI is more modular so most vendor stuff goes
into their plugins (for those vendors working with OMPI).

I think a good solution for Linux distros (and many others) would be to
make a library that is ABI compatible with OMPI, but dispatches through
to MPICH.  There exists a (messy) open source demonstration.

  https://github.com/cea-hpc/wi4mpi/