[petsc-dev] default MPI in debian/ubuntu: openmpi vs mpich

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Fri Dec 7 23:02:47 CST 2018

Hi PETSc developers,

Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) currently uses openmpi as the default MPI
implementation. Some developers have encouraged us to switch to mpich,
partly on experience of less bugs with mpich, partly around openmpi
development policies.

We're amenable to the idea but don't want to rush. The next Debian
stable release is coming soon (around February) and we'd anticipate a
lot of transition bugs (for instance scalapack currently builds for both
openmpi and mpich, build tests pass openmpi but fail mpich).

Equally importantly, pmix is in an uncertain state for mpich (and we've
just finished closing outstanding pmix bugs with openmpi3. openmpi3 is
stable now).  Alastair McKinstry, the lead Debian MPI developer, thinks
pmix support should be in order before going ahead with a transition to
mpich, especially for container support (singularity).

There's a discussion thread on Debian-Science at [1] (cc: to
debian-release [2]).  I'm writing to invite you to add your own
experience to these discussions.

Best regards,
Drew Parsons
Debian Developer / Debian Science member

[1]  https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2018/12/msg00017.html
[2]  https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2018/12/msg00162.html