[petsc-dev] Gathering information: types of interpolations in PETSc and which ones are supported?

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 31 15:11:30 CDT 2018

> On Aug 31, 2018, at 2:52 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 2:20 PM Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>     PETSc developers,
>
>        There are a variety of "interpolation" modules in PETSc but the documentation is scattered (mostly missing). Could everyone who knows anything about the various modules provide a little information about which modes exist as interfaces and which have actual supporting code and expected usage? Anything duplicative?
>
> 1) nested DM to DM (mesh to mesh) of the same type of DM seems to be supported for DMDA and DMPLEX using DMCreateInterpolation(). But what is DMPlexComputeInterpolatorNested(DM, DM, Mat, void *), how is it different? (Note usr context is not used)
>
> DMCreateInterpolation() says nothing about nesting, and in fact lets people create arbitrary algebraic interpolation. For DMPlex, we support
> both nested and non-nested MG (Patrick says there is a subtle bug in non-nested), but my tests pass for this. The Nested case is obviously much easier and has a fixed element matrix, whereas non-nested uses point location.
>
> 2) non-nested DM to DM. DMPlexComputeInterpolatorGeneral(DM, DM, Mat, void *); (and what does "local portion" mean?) (also the usr context? is not used).
>
> We can take out "local portion". That was me talking to myself.

    Why do DMPlexComputeInterpolatorNested() and DMPlexComputeInterpolatorGeneral() exist if DMCreateInterpolation()  handles both nested and non-nested? Does DMCreateInterpolation() use them? If so they should be made private and there name changed: for example

DMCreateInterpolation_Plex_Nested() and DMCreateInterpolation_Plex_General(). Having multiple interfaces with different names that do the same thing is very confusing and not the way we do things in PETSc.