[petsc-dev] Install location for MPIUNI mpi.h

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:43:11 CDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 2:36 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> It is currently installed to include/petsc/mpiuni/mpi.h and petscsys.h
> includes it as <mpi.h>, which means that users of MPIUNI need to put
> -I/prefix/include/petsc/mpiuni in their command lines.  Matt and I agree
> that this is bad.  We disagree on the solution.
>
> He wants to install it to /prefix/include/mpi.h as though the user had
> written --download-mpich.  This would conflict if a user later installs
> a real MPI to that location.

The idea should be that "installing" means that everyone is using
compatible things
from that location. If you allow an MPIUNI PETSc to be installed to a
location that
also has another MPI, what does mpiexec in ./bin do? There is just as much
potential
for confusion as there is when putting an MPICH PETSc in a location with
OpenMPI
installed.

   Matt