[petsc-dev] How are we deciding the memory alignment that BuildSystem should choose?

Richard Tran Mills rtmills at anl.gov
Tue Sep 5 12:49:42 CDT 2017

Folks,

I am wondering how PETSc's BuildSystem currently chooses the memory
alignment to use. In the example file I provide in the repo for the Cori
KNL nodes, I specify '--with-memalign=64' to match the cache line width. If
I don't do this, then configure chooses a 16 byte alignment. Do people
think that we should try to make a better effort to choose a more
appropriate alignment?

I believe that all modern x86 CPUs use a 64 byte cache width, so should we
be defaulting to that? I don't know how much this matters on a Xeon
processor, but it can be important on Xeon Phi.

--Richard