[petsc-dev] TS Terminology

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 07:57:33 CDT 2017

I am confused by some of the terminology in TS. At the top level, IFunction
appears to mean the entire equation

  F(u, u_t, x) = 0

However, this appears to mean something different than ifunction at the
function pointer level. Inside TSCompiteIFunction(), it uses both ifunction
and rhsfunction. This makes it hard to understand how composition works.
TSComputeRHS() is called inside TSComputeIFunction(), so if we want to
reuse vectors it should not initialize the vector, but it seems like
TSComputeIFunction() should initialize the vector since
TSComputeIFunctionLocal() does.

What guarantees about initialization should we have?