[petsc-dev] Discussion about time-dependent optimization moved from PR

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 17 08:57:09 CDT 2017

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 7:43 AM, Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>    What happens if you call TSCreateAdjointsTS() on a TS obtained with TSCreateAdjointsTS()? Is the resulting TS useful?
>

> I don't think so.

   Hmm, this is rather bothersome. So the new TS that comes out is not really a full-featured TS (using your new extended TS object that knows about adjoints)? It is like a subclass of TS that can only do timestepping? This goes back to my concern that TS shouldn't be overloaded with all the adjoint sensitivity stuff, there should be a higher level PetscSensi object that does sensitivities and it contains multiple TS for the ODE/DAE integrator and one for "reverse" mode.

  Barry

In this model Hong's TSAdjoint... stuff that deals with integration details would be in the second sub TS while the stuff that sets up the adjoint problem etc would be moved to the PetscSensi object.