[petsc-dev] make -f gmakefile test needs a proper help message of some sort

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Jun 17 22:57:55 CDT 2017

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
>> Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>>
>> >   Thanks, sadly it is not helpful.
>>
>> I wasn't saying it worked now, but that it was the target that should be
>> used to print help.
>

> <insert broken fingers message>

Barry's original message was addressed to Scott.  I was merely pointing
out a convention that is more discoverable than Barry's suggestion.  I
claim this was a constructive comment, not bikeshedding.  Yes, I could
make this change, but so could you, Barry, or anyone else.  I don't
think it's productive to lob the "broken fingers" criticism around.
It's educational and likely more accurate for the person who wrote a
component to maintain the docs for that component and the person making
the suggestion might have the 30 seconds at that moment to make a
constructive suggestion, but not the 10 minutes to implement it.

> where are the current docs for it that we move to this place?

gmakefile has this comment.

# Tests can be generated by searching
# Percent is a wildcard (only one allowed):
#    make -f gmakefile test search=sys%ex2
# To match internal substrings (matches *ex2*):
#    make -f gmakefile test searchin=ex2
# Search and searchin can be combined:
#    make -f gmakefile test search='sys%' searchin=ex2
# For args:
#    make -f gmakefile test argsearch=cuda
# For general glob-style searching using python:
# NOTE: uses shell which is possibly slower and is possibly more brittle
#    make -f gmakefile test pysearch='sys*ex2*'