[petsc-dev] mpifort versus mpif90

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 3 17:41:59 CDT 2017

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017, Jed Brown wrote:

> We only need one FC now and the preferred executable name is mpifort
> (other variants like mpif90 are deprecated in both MPICH and Open MPI).
> I would just add this everywhere we currently have mpif90 but the code
> is already super convoluted and I'd rather simplify if possible.  Does
> anyone use --with-gnu-compilers versus --with-vendor-compilers?  Is it
> tested anywhere?

Its not tested in the nightlybuilds - but I've seen these options (esp
with-gnu-compilers) used in configure.log sent by users.

I'm not a fan of this interface - and won't miss it if removed.
[its a bit ambiguous when one does stuff like: '--with-gnu-compilers=1 --with-mpi-dir=.']

A related issue is - how does one specify compatible compilers [for
c/c++/fortran]

Satish