[petsc-dev] 6-node wedge cells in DMPlex

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 08:04:15 CST 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:12 PM, Adrian Croucher <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz
> wrote:

> hi Matt,
>
> A couple of years ago we discussed adding support for 6-node wedge cells
> in DMPlex- the hurdle being that at present DMPlex doesn't support cells
> with faces of different shapes (see below)- and you said it could be done,
> if and when I needed it.
>
> People are starting to want to use my code on real models now, many of
> which have 6-node wedge cells. So it would be very handy to have support
> for those in DMPlex fairly soon if possible.
>
> Any chance you would be able to take a look at it? In principle I would be
> happy to help if I can. I have started looking at plexinterpolate.c to try
> and see how it works, but at this stage I'm not at all confident that I
> understand the subtleties.

Okay. First I need to understand exactly what shape we want to handle. Can
you draw it or explain precisely?

Second, we need to prescribe a total order on the vertices for a wedge, and
then a set of faces as ordered arrays of vertices.
That information goes here:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/e8e596daf24561903cea0839b7b68a432a6283e4/src/dm/impls/plex/plexinterpolate.c?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default#plexinterpolate.c-37

I think that might be all we have to do, but until you try something,
secret assumptions lurking in the code are not obvious.