[petsc-dev] Fortran questions

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 12 22:43:28 CST 2017

>> On Feb 9, 2017, at 8:49 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Has anyone else noticed a considerable increase in compile time due to the new Fortran code?
>
>   No, the compile time is the same, it is the time to generate the module files that is much larger because 1) the module files are much larger because we do much more type checking (and I suspect that gfotran has nonscalable code in generating module files) and 2) gfortran does not use multiple threads to generate module files. Though the module generation time is a pain I blame it on gfortran and think it is a good tradeoff since we will get many viewer "bug reports" when people forget the ,ierr argument.

Worth noting that the modules are sequential because each imports the
previous one.  I don't know of any way to fix that except perhaps to
split them like the headers.  I.e., put petsckspdef in a separate file
from petscksp, assuming it's possible to make petscsnes only depend on
petsckspdef, etc.  I don't know if that would be too much maintenance
burden.