[petsc-dev] Fortran questions

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 21:12:34 CST 2017

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 8:49 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) Has anyone else noticed a considerable increase in compile time due to the new Fortran code?

  No, the compile time is the same, it is the time to generate the module files that is much larger because 1) the module files are much larger because we do much more type checking (and I suspect that gfotran has nonscalable code in generating module files) and 2) gfortran does not use multiple threads to generate module files. Though the module generation time is a pain I blame it on gfortran and think it is a good tradeoff since we will get many viewer "bug reports" when people forget the ,ierr argument.

> 2) I have lost the ability to read Fortran arguments. I believe I have reconfigured, but will try again. Did this happen to anyone else?

   Do you mean command line arguments? I haven't seen this, send us details so we can reproduce.

  Barry