[petsc-dev] Test harness upgrade

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Sun Feb 12 12:34:55 CST 2017

>>>  Why is test listed twice here?
>>
>> To invoke mpiexec twice.  The first invocation
>> will have no additional args beyond what the parent
>> has.
>
>     But why would I EVER want to run it again with the same arguments as the previous time? Run the same test with the same arguments?

There is a confusion here.
When there are subtest blocks, the parent block does not generate any tests.

Perhaps  a better specification would be to change the name of the
top-level block since it is not generating a test:

    container:
       suffix: 19
       requires: datafilespath
       args: -f0 ${DATAFILESPATH}/matrices/poisson1
       args: -ksp_type cg -pc_type icc
       args: -pc_factor_levels {{0 2 4}}
       separate_testvars: pc_factor_levels
       test:
       test:
          args: -mat_type seqsbaij

Two mpiexec invocations, same output, but wanting to test minor
permutations of arguments.

Other examples in ex10 that are of the same ilk are
ILU, cg_singlereduction, mumps_cholesky, mumps_lu, pastix_lu, zeropivot

It's more common though to have arguments change
the output requiring a new suffix:
{2,3},{4,5}, 7{a,b,c}, {13,14,15,17}, etc.

Instead of container, perhaps "testset" would
be more descriptive.

>>>   Instead of having the ugly separate_testvars argument could you somehow indicate it with the loop definition?

>>> and

>> It's possible.
>>
>> What about [[0 2 4]]  implying separate test output files?
>
>    That works, the problem is that people have to remember what {{ means and and what [[ means. I would never be able to keep them straight, better to have a clear word that distinguishes them. I agree what I suggest is wordy, could be "shared/separate output"

So:
{{0 2 4}shared output}
and
{{0 2 4}separate output}

Would you accept {{0 2 4}} as being equivalent to {{0 2 4} shared ouput}
?

Scott

Tech-X Corporation               kruger at txcorp.com