[petsc-dev] segfaults with mpich 3.2 and clang (Apple LLVM 8.0.0, clang 800.0.42.1)

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Feb 10 13:59:02 CST 2017

Are there any known issues with mpich3.2 and clang (Apple LLVM 8.0.0,
clang 800.0.42.1)? I am getting segfaults in MPI routines within PETSc.
The error is: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=59, which
appears to be similar to the recent DMPlexCreateExodusFromFile() does
not work on macOS Sierra thread
https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/petsc-users/2017-January/031463.html

However, I am not using any Darwin packaging system like homebrew. I am
building PETSc via the PyLith installer which builds mpich, NetCDF,
HDF5, etc from scratch using the Apple's clang. If I swap mpich3.2 for
mpich3.1.3, these segfaults go away, so I am inclined to blame mpich3.2.

If this is a unknown or undiagnosed issue, I will try a standalone PETSc
install to try to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Brad