[petsc-dev] IMPORTANT nightly builds are down do not add to next

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 16:03:28 CST 2017

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> "Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> >> On Dec 30, 2017, at 3:53 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Satish is in India and cannot fix it.

> the nightly tests are working again.

> automate this part, and employ failsafe measures.
> >>
> >>   Indeed. Note that this is largely just bad timing, this happens very
> rarely and it is just bad luck Satish is out.
> >>
> >> I agree completely. However, right now we are all too indispensible. We
> usually focus on transmitting developer knowledge,
> >> but I think we need more focus on transmitting process knowledge. Could
> another group of people pick up and run
> >> the maintenance process for PETSc?
> >
> >    No because they would use jenkins or some similar worthless shit;
> >    we need to keep control of the processes but need more more help in
> >    running the processes.
>
> It shouldn't be this labor-intensive.  As I understand it, we could use
> free hosted CI except for proprietary compilers/unsupported
> environments.  Most of those CI systems want to sell their products with
> enterprise pricing for custom environments, but I think it's supposed to
> be easy to use the gitlab-ci runner on a custom machine.

You can use ICC and PGI in Travis CI, which is free if you use Github with
a public repo. ICC requires a friend at Intel to help with license issues.
PGI has community edition you should be able to use. Travis CI doesn’t
support Bitbucket but I recall you mirror Petsc there. Examples of both are
easily found with an obvious google search.

Travis CI is great for covering generic Mac/Homebrew and Ubuntu platforms.
You can get almost all compiler versions and MPI libraries in both, with
reasonable effort.

I can do an initial implementation if you aren’t inclined to do it
yourselves.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond