[petsc-dev] IMPORTANT nightly builds are down do not add to next

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Dec 30 14:04:10 CST 2017

"Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>> On Dec 30, 2017, at 3:53 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> > On Dec 29, 2017, at 3:52 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> >
>> >    The nightly builds are down (out-dated data at the website) and Satish is in India and cannot fix it.
>> >
>> >     Please do not put anything into next until you are notified that the nightly tests are working again.
>> >
>> > Cool.
>> >
>> > This should tell us that we need to make more of an effort to automate this part, and employ failsafe measures.
>>
>>   Indeed. Note that this is largely just bad timing, this happens very rarely and it is just bad luck Satish is out.
>>
>> I agree completely. However, right now we are all too indispensible. We usually focus on transmitting developer knowledge,
>> but I think we need more focus on transmitting process knowledge. Could another group of people pick up and run
>> the maintenance process for PETSc?
>
>    No because they would use jenkins or some similar worthless shit;
>    we need to keep control of the processes but need more more help in
>    running the processes.

It shouldn't be this labor-intensive.  As I understand it, we could use
free hosted CI except for proprietary compilers/unsupported
environments.  Most of those CI systems want to sell their products with
enterprise pricing for custom environments, but I think it's supposed to
be easy to use the gitlab-ci runner on a custom machine.

>    Basically another Satish, ideas on how to find such a person?

Impossible to find "another Satish".