[petsc-dev] PETSc Quarterly Telecon

Karl Rupp rupp at iue.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 18 15:14:11 CST 2017

Hi all,

here are my coarse-grained notes from the meeting:

* 'next' branch: Currently we are fighting the problem of integration
testing vs. basic testing in the same branch.
   Barry: Run basic tests before merging to next!
   'make alltest' for ~3 configurations should cover most problems.

* Test harness:
   Migration to new test harness will take another month or two.
   Most directories already converted, but a couple of tricky
directories are left.
   Discussion about speeding up tests, new test harness should provide
better fine-grained control.
   Jed makes a case for Github instead of Bitbucket. Will be considered
in the future, but no urgency.

* NUMFOCUS:
   Fell off the urgency list.
   Still considered to be a good idea.

* PETSc User Meeting:
   Contact sponsors by the end of the year.
   Make a list for people to contact at institutions in Europe.

* SIAM Annual Meeting:
   Richard and Karl will continue the idea of hosting a minisymposium.
   Other participants of the call are most likely not going there.

* Documentation:
   Patrick wants to set up better introductory tutorials.
   Deal.ii-style tutorials desirable, yet there's a significant
maintenance cost attached to it.
   Split up tutorial slides into smaller chunks (one PDF per chapter).
   Stop duplicating code tutorials where only a few lines of code are
actually different.

Best regards,
Karli