[petsc-dev] PETSC_DIR and PETSC_ARCH: used to distinguish between multiple applications ?

Kevin Buckley kevin.buckley.ecs.vuw.ac.nz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 19:08:25 CDT 2017

Been a while since I have(re)installed a PETSc, but I have just
come into install it as a dependecy for a different package to
that for which I have installed it in the past.

The original package has a requirement for

  --with-clanguage=cxx

whereas the current one doesn't, but it does have a requirement for
different external packages, eg hypre.

In terms of laying out PETSc, can (should ?) one use PETSC_DIR
and PETSC_ARCH: to combine everything PETSc-related under one,
top-level, say

/path/to/PETSC/3.7.5

with subdirs, or do the differing requirements demand two different "top-level "

/path/to/PETSC/3.7.5/Package1

/path/to/PETSC/3.7.5/Package2

hierachies, each then with duplicated files across the two?

Any pointers welcome,
Kevin

---
Kevin M. Buckley

eScience Consultant
School of Engineering and Computer Science
Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand