[petsc-dev] Issue with sacusp preconditioner.

Das, Rajeev rajeev.das at cnl.ca
Wed Mar 23 08:39:30 CDT 2016

UNRESTRICTED / ILLIMITÉE

Hi:

The scenario that I considered involves a structured grid of size 32 x 32 x 32 (using Pflotran here).  When I used the bcgs solver and the preconditioner jacobi, there were no issues, but when the preconditioner sacusp was used I received the following error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'thrust::system::system_error'

  what():  function_attributes(): after cudaFuncGetAttributes: an illegal memory access was encountered.

I am attaching the screen shots of my debugger (idb) that will provide some detail regarding the source of this error. My Petsc configuration is

--download-mpich=yes --with-cc=gcc --with-cxx=g++ --with-fc=gfortran --with-shared-libraries=0 --with-debugging=1 --with-valgrind=1 --download-parmetis=yes --download-metis=yes --download-hypre=yes --download-fblaslapack=yes --with-c2html=0 --with-cuda=1 --with-cusp=1 --with-thrust=1 --with-64-bit-indices=1

I have to use 64 bit indices, if I avoid it, I receive out of memory issues. Machines used are Intel Xeon E5-2620 and Tesla K20c card having the compute capability of 3.5. When I reduced the grid size to 16 x 16 x 16 I no more receive the above error with sacusp.

Can you point me what could be the problem here.

Regards,

Rajeev Das.