[petsc-dev] clash of --download-xxx with something in /usr/include /usr/local/include

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 27 23:32:28 CST 2016

>    I am just suggesting compile a file with #include <Hd5xxx.h> with no additional search paths (so it only checks the default locations) and if the compile succeeds we know there is an install of h5d that could cause problems.

Once you detect that such a version exists, what are you going to do
about it?

A typical situation is that /usr/lib/libhdf5.so is a non-parallel build
while some other location contains a libhdf5.so built to use a
particular MPI implementation.  Those versions are fundamentally
different, but the system might use /usr/lib/libhdf5.so for lots of
other things and replacing it with the MPI version is not viable.  If
you alert the user, their response is likely "Yes, I know it's
there. Now do the right thing."  If you're capable of doing that, why
not just do it without bothering the user?