[petsc-dev] Installation namespaces

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Dec 25 18:43:35 CST 2016

Almost nothing we install to $prefix/bin is namespaced, let alone
required to use PETSc.  I think we should remove most of it from prefix
installs and namespace everything that is truly needed.

And we really need to stop installing the ridiculous bin/*
subdirectories (especially bin/maint).  Nobody uses directories in /bin
and most of the stuff in bin/maint is not relevant to prefix installs.
Most of those directories should either be not installed or go in
lib/petsc/.

I also have a complaint about stale install trees.  I had an old
PETSC_ARCH (built long ago).  I updated my repository to today's
'master' and did

  make reconfigure gnumake install

and it installed (to a just-cleaned prefix):

  petsc-mpich-basic-prefix/lib/modules
  petsc-mpich-basic-prefix/lib/modules/3.4.2
  petsc-mpich-basic-prefix/lib/modules/3.4.3

I believe this is because we copy all of PETSC_ARCH/lib (those files
existed a couple years ago when this arch was first built).  I consider
this to be a bug, though it feels hard to fix in the current
environment.  I think it would be better to move our installs to a
whitelist scheme (perhaps with globbing) rather than bulk copy.