[petsc-dev] Open PRs to be merged for release 3.7

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Apr 24 12:28:03 CDT 2016

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> I was hoping for a feature freeze - by my maint branch merge.
> [and Barry agreed to that :). See the text of the post: "[petsc-dev] plans for PETSc release"]

I think the text of that email inadvertently (or intentionally?) changed
the release process in a rather fundamental way that I disagree with.
We never had a petsc-dev saying that a feature freeze will be in effect
starting Xday and dumping 'master' into 'maint' without a feature freeze
is reckless because we're knowingly advertising more stability (via the
'maint' label) than is actually present.

> Irrespective the maint issue - the changes are not yet tested in
> next. Even if its tested in tonights next - they would be untested in
> maint/master.
>
> So I can't  do both - merge them tomorrow and spin a tarball tomorrow.

My preference would be to push the release date back by a few days so we
can ensure a more stable v3.7.  This irrespective of whether Lisandro's
changes are merged for v3.7.