[petsc-dev] Make PetscHash publicly accessible

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 09:59:43 CDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
> > You are wrong in this case. The HashIJ is not trivial, and cannot be done
> > easily inline. What is the problem here?
>
> $ git grep -l 'PetscHashIJ[^K]'
> src/sys/examples/tests/ex26.c
> src/sys/utils/hash.h
>
> $ git grep -l 'PetscHashJK'
> src/dm/impls/plex/plexfem.c
> src/mat/impls/preallocator/matpreallocator.c
> src/sys/utils/hash.h
>
> But matpreallocator.c doesn't actually use the linked list aspects of
> PetscHashJK, so it's memory overhead (two unused pointers plus padding
> per entry) for nothing.
>
> $ git grep -l 'PetscHashIJKL'
> src/dm/impls/plex/plexinterpolate.c
> src/sys/utils/hash.h
>
> This is actually used, but I think the implementation (below) accurately
> fits my description of wrapping khash primitives with imaginary error
> checking.  Lawrence, do you just want a general-purpose hash table or do
> you specifically want Matt's hash/linked-list structure?

I assume you would just stick this stuff in source files?

/* Linked list of values in a bucket. */
struct _IJKLNode {
  PetscInt       k;
  struct _IJKLNode *next;
};
typedef struct _IJKLNode IJKLNode;

/* Value (holds a linked list of nodes) in the bucket. */
struct _IJKLVal {
  PetscInt n;
  IJKLNode   *head, *tail;
};
typedef struct _IJKLVal IJKLVal;

/* Key (a quartet of integers). */
struct _PetscHashIJKLKey {
  PetscInt i, j, k, l;
};
typedef struct _PetscHashIJKLKey PetscHashIJKLKey;

/* Hash function: mix two integers into one.
   Shift by a quarter the number of bits in PetscInt to the left and then
XOR.  If the indices fit into the lowest quarter part of PetscInt, this is
a bijection.
   We should shift by (8/4)*sizeof(PetscInt): sizeof(PetscInt) is the
number of bytes in PetscInt, with 8 bits per byte.
 */
#define IJKLKeyHash(key) ( (((key).i) <<
(4*sizeof(PetscInt)))^((key).j)^(((key).k) <<
(2*sizeof(PetscInt)))^(((key).l) << (6*sizeof(PetscInt))) )

/* Compare two keys (integer pairs). */
#define IJKLKeyEqual(k1,k2) (((k1).i==(k2).i) ? ((k1).j==(k2).j) ?
((k1).k==(k2).k) ? ((k1).l==(k2).l) : 0 : 0 : 0)

KHASH_INIT(HASHIJKL,PetscHashIJKLKey,IJKLVal,1,IJKLKeyHash,IJKLKeyEqual)

struct _PetscHashIJKL {
  khash_t(HASHIJKL) *ht;
};

typedef struct _PetscHashIJKL *PetscHashIJKL;

typedef khiter_t               PetscHashIJKLIter;

typedef IJKLNode              *PetscHashIJKLValIter;

This is a silly argument. It is argument for the sake of arguing rather
than to improve what we are doing.

   Matt