[petsc-dev] Adding support for new sparse BLAS inspector-executor routines in MKL

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 30 14:24:21 CDT 2015

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Sep 2015, Richard Mills wrote:
> >
> >> I need to get an initial implementation in place first, but I'll go ahead
> >> and ask about how I'll eventually need to set things up in BuildSystem for
> >> this.  Perhaps I should follow a similar model to the MKL Pardiso support,
> >> i.e., make the user explicitly ask for this?  Something like
> >> '--with-mkl_spmv2-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL'?
> >
> > Essentially 'yes'.
> >
> > Perhaps there is a better way to organize the relations btweeen mkl,
> > blaslapack, pardiso, spmv2 etc.
> >
> > Right now the requirement is:
> >
> > --with-blas-lapack-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL
> > --with-mkl_feature-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL
>
> Wouldn't --with-mkl_$feature=1 be sufficient?

I think the issue was - blaslapack.py [as is currently organized] does
not need or care for mkl.h.  But mkl_cpardiso.py requires it. For
mkl_cpardiso.py to find it - it requires the -dir - or include/lib
options.

Hence my note: "The additional required features [includes or
libraries] can be detected in mkl_feature.py"

> Make those scripts depend on blaslapack.

Yes - thats how its currently organized.

Satish