[petsc-dev] Do we still need to support python 2.4?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 13 14:36:52 CDT 2015

Previously - I've used the currently supported RHEL as a base case.

Since RHEL5 is still currently supported -and it defaults to
python-2.4 we've used python-2.4 as the minimum for petsc configure.

However its 8 years old - [and now RHEL had much longer lifecycle 11+
years - in extended-support mode]

I'm not sure how many users still have this old version [or other
software stack that defaults to python-2.4]. Perhaps its ok to upgrade
the requirements in petsc master [I'm not completely sure about it.\

And RHEL-6 defaults to python-2.6. [so when we update the minimum
version - I would go for that]

Satish