[petsc-dev] DMPlex, Finite Volume, overlap and ghost cells...

John O'Sullivan jp.osullivan at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 11 03:34:44 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I've managed to get myself very confused about how to use DMPlex correctly for a distributed Finite Volume grid...

My understanding was that along partition boundaries the ghost cells are used store cell information from neighbouring partitions so that the fluxes can be calculated.

Though debugging through ex11 it seems like overlap is set equal to 1?

I'm solving a simple pressure-diffusion equation on a 1D column (from an exo grid) which works fine on a single processor but not in parallel. I'm certainly not setting things up right or labeling correctly...

Could someone please explain the most appropriate way to set up and label the DM, whether the overlap should be 0 or 1 and whether ghost cells should be placed on internal partition boundaries.

Thanks!
John

--
Dr John O'Sullivan