[petsc-dev] more automatic notification of errors in nightly builds

Tobin Isaac tisaac at ices.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 4 22:09:19 CST 2015

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 06:00:55PM -0600, Barry Smith wrote:

>   Toby,
>
>     Wow, this is great! Thanks  (I pushed some trivial changes)
>
>    Satish,
>
>       Can you rig this up to run each morning after 9 am on the next builds automatically sending the email.
>
>      We can do more fine tuning of the script as time goes by but let's get it out there and tested.

I would also make the `-ignoreNote` option default: gcc-like warnings
often include `note:`s pointing to other lines that don't have any
faults in them, and I didn't come up with a good way of attaching
these to the original warnings.

Also IMO sending the emails automatically could be counterproductive.
If a warning caused by John is misattributed to Jane, only she gets
the email, and she gets it every day until she (a) brings it to the
attention of someone who can fix it, or (b) starts ignoring the
emails, which defeats their intended purpose.

  Toby