[petsc-dev] TSSolve web page JED and EMIL READ THIS!

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 6 21:32:05 CST 2015

> On Feb 6, 2015, at 9:28 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>  Nonsense. They could always put the initial conditions in an
>>  appropriate vector and the callback just be a vec copy, then you get
>>  back the effect of TSSet"Initial"Solution()
>
> How is that simpler or clearer than passing it as an argument to
> TSSolve?  I didn't say it's capital-H "Hard", just that ugly and
> needless complexity.

   I am not proposing removing the solution from TSSolve() argument list, far from it. I am proposing removing the TSSetSolution(), keeping the solution in TSSolve() as the standard approach, but also allowing a callback for when the user wants the DM passed to TS to be in charge of creating all the vectors.