[petsc-dev] [GPU - slepc] Hands-on exercise 4 (SVD) not working with GPU and default configurations

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 08:27:53 CDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Leoni, Massimiliano <
Massimiliano.Leoni at rolls-royce.com> wrote:

> [...]

Try calling PetscLogBegin() after PetscInitialize(). We have now put in an
error if this is not initialized correctly.

I agree with Karl that not much speedup can be expected with GPUs. This is
the fault of dishonest marketing. None
of the computations in PETSc are limited by the computation rate, rather
they are limited by memory bandwidth. The
bandwidth is at best 2-3x better, and less for modern CPUs. The dense SVD
can be better than this, but you are
eventually limited by offload times and memory latency. The story of 100x,
or even 10x, speedups is just a fraud.