[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Error running DMPlex example

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:21:25 CDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Gautam Bisht <gbisht at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> During the last week discussion with Mark, it became obvious that to add
> PETSc's AMR capability in PFLOTRAN would require incorporation of DMPlex.
>
> Currently, PFLOTRAN has multiple `modes` which include:
> - RICHARDS: Single phase mass conservation,
> -TH: Single phase mass + energy conservation,
> -GENERAL: Two phase mass + energy conservation, etc.
>
> All the different modes have portions of duplicate code for
> Residual/Jacobian evaluation. I believe incorporation of DMComposite would
> possibly shrink the current PFLOTRAN code.
>
> Thus, I was curious to check if an example for DMPlex+DMComposite exists.

We have only used DMComposite to deal with things that have really regular
discretizations and topologies, namely
that work for DMDA. DMComposite will not calculate the Jacobian layout (you
can tell it), and its not trivial to calculate
the blocks yourself (in my opinion).

I tend to use Plex by itself for these kind of situations. I guess it
depends on what you want to be in charge of. If you
want to run the whole show (cell iteration, local numbering, etc.) then
DMComposite is a good choice. If you want to
give up some control, and only manage element-wise residuals/Jacobians then
Plex may be a good choice.

Maybe I am missing something in how you want to set this up.