[petsc-dev] related to compiling your source code

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Apr 14 20:28:56 CDT 2015

Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:
>>     You have not addressed the issue of people have a stale PETSC_OPTIONS.
>> Why is that any less likely then a stale .petscrc?
>>

> I think I said this: people use their home directories as *scratch space*.
> You download an email of a petscrc file, untar something, scp something,
> however you move files around.
> You do not use your .bashrc file as a *scratch pad*.

That is not what I have observed.  I see frequent errors because people
load modules or set environment variables in .bashrc.  I try to
reproduce their problems and everything works fine.  I ask for a clean
environment and they say it's clean.  This goes around a couple times
and finally I remember to ask to see their bashrc.  Years-old junk in
there that isn't even compatible with the current machine (and stuff for
different machines, like edison/hopper).

> And, no one uses PETSC_OPTIONS (I've been using PETSc for 20 years and have
> never heard of it until today!); everyone uses their home directory.

I disagree that nobody uses it, but if we get rid of ~/.petscrc and
recommend that they use PETSC_OPTIONS for that, what will they do?