[petsc-dev] related to compiling your source code

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 14 20:17:28 CDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Mark,
>
>     You have not addressed the issue of people have a stale PETSC_OPTIONS.
> Why is that any less likely then a stale .petscrc?

I think I said this: people use their home directories as *scratch space*.
You download an email of a petscrc file, untar something, scp something,
however you move files around.
You do not use your .bashrc file as a *scratch pad*.

And, no one uses PETSC_OPTIONS (I've been using PETSc for 20 years and have
never heard of it until today!); everyone uses their home directory.