[petsc-dev] related to compiling your source code

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 14 18:52:24 CDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > On Apr 14, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
> >

> > > This has never been a problem.
> >
> >    I suspect this is because almost no one knows about PETSC_OPTIONS and
> uses it.
> >

> > This could be a migration path for people using ~/.petscrc ...
>
>   So people start using PETSC_OPTIONS. They do the same stupid thing of
> setting something and forget about a year later and then we have to remove
> PETSC_OPTIONS.  Why do we want to migrate them to something just as
> dangerous?

Do we have any idea of the number of users that use ~/.petscrc ?

If no one is using it other than us then we switch and there is no
problem.  I have never thought of using it.  I never have global options
that I always want to use like this.  Does anyone other than us for
regression tests?

The problem we have seen is someone has some temporary junk in their home
directory and it gets picked up.  No one uses .bashrc as a scratch pad but
people do use their home directory this way.