[petsc-dev] Updating MOAB version during download

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 16 11:08:21 CDT 2014

   This email thread is way to complicated for me.  Is the final decision

1)   If a git and .tar.gz are BOTH given for a —download then they should represent the same thing?

     Sounds reasonable. (But why have both, just incase a website is down?) How do we make sure they always match? They will get out of synch!

     My feeling is that ONLY a git OR a .tar.gz should be listed at any one time and not both at the same time (the other should be commented out).

2)  There is no logic in package.py for downloading different versions of a package based on if PETSc is obtained from a tar ball or from git or in a branch or not? Instead the user “knows” and uses —with-moab-dir or —download-moab=somename.tar.gz to get the matching package.

     I am not sure I like this, requiring someone to just “intuitively know” what moab version they should be using with any particular development branch is bullshit. Also for nightly tests of next and master it may not be the release of moab or the nightly of moab that is compatible with the test; every time I merge something into next (or master) I need to go to the nightly test scripts and put in the proper location of all the packages, nonsense!

   I think the correct fix is for the values in moab.py (for each package) are changed over time and may be different in different branches and then at a release they are “locked” into the correct value for that release. Yes, this may mean manually setting some of the values when the release branch is made. Tough, there is no way around it.

  Barry