[petsc-dev] questions on Tao "integration" into PETSc repository

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 29 21:29:50 CST 2014

   I’ve made a lot of progress in processing tao source to PETSc coding standards in the branch balay/tao-to-petsc

   But now I have some observations/questions

   tao.h just includes petsc.h

    TaoInitialize/Finalize() basically calls PetscInitialize/Finalize

   The single abstract Tao solver object is called TaoSolve  and is defined in taosolver.h
          However all methods on the TaoSolver are prefixed with only Tao, for example TaoSetXXX()

   The single abstract Tao line search object is called TaoLineSearch  and is defined in taolinesearch.h

   With everyone’s permission I would like to

     1) remove TaoInitialize/Finalize()

     2) rename the TaoSolver object to Tao

     3) move the taosolver.h include to tao.h

   With this change Tao will be name-spaced and appear in the same character as SNES does

   Do I have everyone’s agreement to make these changes? Other suggestions?

   Thanks