[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 18:16:59 CST 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Sean Farley wrote:

> balay at mcs.anl.gov writes:

> >> There is a newly (only a few days old) updated mpich port that I now use
> >> with my petsc install.
> >
> > This is not really a fix - as the 'gmake' error will pop up with petsc
> > part of the build aswell.
>
> False. It works perfectly fine here.

That doesn't mean it woud work for Mark. Previously [a few months
back] Mark had the same issue - and you've responded that you couldn't
reproduce it.

> >> There is a fundamental problem with using two stacks. Similar, I think,
> >> to trying to simultaneously link to libc++ and libstdc++. It is just
> >> asking for trouble.
> >
> > I'm not sure how this is causing gmake 'internal' error..
>
> It doesn't necessarily mean that gmake is broken but could be something
> mismatched. I can't tell without the internal logs.
>
> Though, I recommend that Mark not use any --download options through
> petsc because those packages are now in MacPorts and mixing two stacks
> is just asking for trouble.

So - unless Mark is also using 'macports' install of PETSc - he is
asking for trouble? [otherwise he can easily end up mixing these
exteranlpackages from macports - and build petsc with native OSX
compilers - so will end up mixing stack anyway?]

Satish