[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 08:39:16 CST 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Geoff Oxberry wrote:

> To echo what Aron said, I wouldn't point people at the
> hpc.sourceforge.netbuilds. They do install directly into /usr/bin,
> and it's a pain in the ass to undo.

Just reiterating my previous e-mails. hpc installs in /usr/local/bin
and does not touch stuff in /usr/bin

> The R/AT&T build of gcc was better, but also installed into
> /usr/bin, and was also a pain in the ass to uninstall.

Our experience is R/AT&T build is worse wrt PETSc. Will never
recommend it. [and will never recommend gfortran-4.2 as this early
version has bugs in some of its f90 implementation affecting petsc's
f90 interface]

> Having used both MacPorts (2010-2012) and Homebrew (2012-present), I find
> Homebrew to be a better experience, especially if you only need a small
> number of packages for development. MacPorts used to insist on its own
> stack, which meant that if you wanted gfortran, you also had to install
> many other packages.
>
> I generally developed using gcc 4.2 because I found cross-version linking
> to be a pain in the ass. I've also installed gcc 4.8 via the
> homebrew/versions tap and that's worked well, too.

One more reason to prefer hpc.sourceforge [gfortran only] install -
wrt PETSc.

> Python is sort of broken in both MacPorts and Homebrew. If you look at the
> GitHub issues, there's been a lot of traffic related to Python in Homebrew
> lately because they completely revamped how they handle Python in their
> build recipes, which then broke some Python packages installed via
> Homebrew. Last I checked, Python was more broken in MacPorts and required
> lots of hacks to get things to work, but it's been a while since I've used
> MacPorts. I think the best policy is to rely on the package manager for as
> little Python software as possible, and install the rest of your Python
> stack in an isolated manner; I use pyenv, pip, & virtualenv. Conda sort of
> does something similar, but I feel like conda is a great build system with
> too many other responsibilities.

Sounds like you are adding more reasons to prefer hpc.sourceforge gfortran
[for petsc usage]

Obviously - if one needs more than just gfortran - they would have to
use Macports or homebrew - and deal with all the issues they
have. [Just like the issue Mark is currently having - hence this
e-mail thread]

I'll add one more note here: Its possible to cleanly uninstal hpc
stuff - but its not simple. One would have to keep the tarball arround
[or store the tarball table of contents in a file] - and use this
info to remove files.

cd /
sudo tar -tf ~/Downloads/gfortran-mlion.tar | xargs rm
sudo tar -tf ~/Downloads/gfortran-mlion.tar | xargs rmdir
sudo tar -tf ~/Downloads/gfortran-mlion.tar | xargs rmdir

Satish