[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Geoff Oxberry goxberry at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:39:06 CST 2014

To echo what Aron said, I wouldn't point people at the
hpc.sourceforge.netbuilds. They do install directly into /usr/bin, and
it's a pain in the ass
to undo. The R/AT&T build of gcc was better, but also installed into
/usr/bin, and was also a pain in the ass to uninstall.

Having used both MacPorts (2010-2012) and Homebrew (2012-present), I find
Homebrew to be a better experience, especially if you only need a small
number of packages for development. MacPorts used to insist on its own
stack, which meant that if you wanted gfortran, you also had to install
many other packages.

I generally developed using gcc 4.2 because I found cross-version linking
to be a pain in the ass. I've also installed gcc 4.8 via the
homebrew/versions tap and that's worked well, too.

Python is sort of broken in both MacPorts and Homebrew. If you look at the
GitHub issues, there's been a lot of traffic related to Python in Homebrew
lately because they completely revamped how they handle Python in their
build recipes, which then broke some Python packages installed via
Homebrew. Last I checked, Python was more broken in MacPorts and required
lots of hacks to get things to work, but it's been a while since I've used
MacPorts. I think the best policy is to rely on the package manager for as
little Python software as possible, and install the rest of your Python
stack in an isolated manner; I use pyenv, pip, & virtualenv. Conda sort of
does something similar, but I feel like conda is a great build system with
too many other responsibilities.

--
Geoffrey Oxberry, Ph.D., E.I.T.
goxberry at gmail.com