[petsc-dev] configure failed after update of OSX

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 27 23:27:37 CST 2014

I've generally recommended hpc.sourceforge as its simple, easy to
install and has worked for me for a long time. [Uninstall requires a
bit of effort though..]

Sure - if one needs a bunch of packages including fortran -
homebrew/macports would be the way to go.

We've had quiet a few maint issues with macport conflicts - and Sean
had been trying to resolve some of them within macpors. [And helping
folks here on this list]

Previously Homebrew had gfortran-4.2. But that was a buggy version and
broke petsc f90 related functionality - so I didn't recommend it. But
now I see gfortran-4.8 in homebrew - so perhaps it will work better
now.

Satish