[petsc-dev] Possible bugs when using TS with ViennaCL

Mani Chandra mc0710 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 15:07:52 CST 2014

Hi Karl,

I now checked the error flags of all petsc functions in all functions. I
also recompiled petsc with debug. Here's the report:

Case 1) Still works. All good.

Case 2) This is the case with ComputeResidual using VecGetArrays but with
DMSetVecType(da, VECVIENNACL) and DMSetMatType(da, MATAIJVIENNACL). The
flags don't show any errors. *The programs proceeds smoothly but the
solution is wrong even though SNES is converging.*

Case 3) This is the case with ComputeResidualViennaCL using
VecViennaCLGetArrays with and without DMSetVecType(da, VECVIENNACL) and
DMSetMatType(da, MATAIJVIENNACL). In both cases I get the following error:

[0]PETSC ERROR: TSComputeIFunction() line 676 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/ts/interface/ts.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: SNESTSFormFunction_Theta() line 284 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/ts/impls/implicit/theta/theta.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: SNESTSFormFunction() line 3499 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/ts/interface/ts.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: SNESComputeFunction() line 2089 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/snes/interface/snes.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: SNESSolve_NEWTONLS() line 175 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/snes/impls/ls/ls.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: SNESSolve() line 3812 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/snes/interface/snes.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: TSStep_Theta() line 183 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/ts/impls/implicit/theta/theta.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: TSStep() line 2625 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/ts/interface/ts.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: TSSolve() line 2741 in
/home/mc/Downloads/petsc/src/ts/interface/ts.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: main() line 83 in
/home/mc/PhD/opencl_tests/petsc_opencl/petsc_opencl.cpp
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
with errorcode -473550369.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.

The error occured at VecViennaCLGetArrayRead/Write in my
ComputeResidualViennaCL function. Note that with the petsc debug mode, the
code crashes with the above error even if I don't catch the error codes.
Might be because of some VecViennaCLGetArray calls inside petsc.

Cheers,
Mani