[petsc-dev] How do I build a shared library for exodus?

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Wed Jan 22 11:21:31 CST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 11:01 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some reason, I would need to generate a shared library for
>> exodusII, but the Makefile included in the source distribution does
>> not have a rule for this. Is there an easy way to modify the build
>> system package in order to generate the shared library?
>
> The Makefile.standalone does not have rules for shared.  Perhaps
> upstream exodus (now at version 6.02) is recommending the CMake build?
> I'd rather not have exodusii.py depend on CMake if we can help it
> (buggy, bad logging, another thing to compile), so maybe we need to add
> a shared rule?  Or embrace the beast?

let’s say we do want to mess with cmake. What is the typical way to add the shared rule?
   - patch Makefile.standalone in exodusii.py?
   - repackage exodus and serve it from the petsc servers?
Is there a BuildSystem way to know that the linker flag to build a shared library is -shared under linux and -dynamiclib under mac OS? If so, can we simply build the shared library in exodusii.py?

Blaise
--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA