[petsc-dev] are petscfe tests functions dual or primal?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:29:47 CST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Geoffrey Irving <irving at naml.us> wrote:

> Do the test functions we integrate against to form residuals with
> PetscFE come from the primal space or the dual space?  I.e., is
> PetscFE always Galerkin?  If it isn't always Galerkin, when would it
> be?

They come from the dual space. I do not think I have made any assumptions
that prevent Petrov-Galerkin, but I have also never tried an example.

You can see the code that does tabulation here:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/cdce425498f34eac2bb744f37c9fe1bd5a97b9d8/src/dm/dt/interface/dtfe.c?at=master#cl-2317

   Matt