[petsc-dev] IMP prototype

Victor Eijkhout eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 11 19:39:34 CST 2014

On Jan 3, 2014, at 7:16 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Also, you
> can't implement an efficient setup for your communication pattern
> without richer semantics, see PetscCommBuildTwoSided_Ibarrier and the paper
>
>  http://unixer.de/publications/img/hoefler-dsde-protocols.pdf

So I started reading this and came across the bottom of page 2:

> Not all applications change communication patterns frequently. The static version of the SDE has been analyzed in previous works and possible optimizations are well documented (e.g., [3, 4]). How- ever, the dynamic variant, which is important to many irregular applications, received less attention so far.

Right. "Important to many applications" but no references or even names given.

So, in what important applications do the communication patterns change frequently?

Victor.
--
Victor Eijkhout, 512 471 5809 (w)
Texas Advanced Computing Center,